Friday, August 27, 2010

Figs and other garden produce

The figs are starting to get ripe and I'm taking advantage of it.  Last night, Sean and I decided to make pizza with the figs and some blue cheese.  I use the pizza dough recipe in the New Basics Cookbook and for whatever reason, it rose perfectly last night.  We made one pizza with sliced figs, pieces of Cambozola cheese and fresh mozzarella.  The second pizza was pesto, sausage and mozzarella.

Fig pizza


After work today, I walked home and as always, strolled through the garden.  Today I picked some chard to make for dinner and a whole bunch of figs.  At some point this weekend, I'll make fig preserves but in the meantime, it was time for an appetizer of figs.

Everyone knows the appetizer of dates wrapped in bacon so I thought why not figs?  I stuffed them with the same Cambozola cheese and wrapped my heritage hog bacon around them, cooked at 400 in the toaster oven for 20 min or so until the bacon was done.



For dinner, I make a layered concoction of sauteed garlic and shallots, then potatoes, salt and pepper, chopped chard with swiss cheese (I used mozzarella).  Cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour or so. I put the cast iron pan under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the top layer of potatoes.

Garlic and shallots from my garden, potatoes from farmer Allan.

Saute chopped garlic and shallots or onions in cast iron pan - come olive oil and butter.  Once cooked, take off heat and start to layer with vegetables.


Chard with cheese, layered on top of potatoes

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment