Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Marc Simont

Marc Simont died in July.  He was 97 years old.  He was the illustrator of one of Emma's favorite picture books (mine too!).



This is a wonderful book.  The orchestra players are getting ready for a Friday evening performance and the story takes the reader through the dressing routine.  The illustrations are just fabulous.




A lovely video!





When I read the news that Simont had died, I ran upstairs to the bookcase in my room, the one where I moved all the picture books because I just can not get rid of them, and started to find other books illustrated by him.


Caldecott Medal winner, 1957


I ordered through the library the Happy Day, by Ruth Krauss.  She also wrote The Carrot Seed among many other stories but Simont illustrated Happy Day.  He was a runner-up for the Caldecott in 1950 for this book.  I didn't know this book and did not know until the last page what was going to happen!


This title we read one year for our mother daughter book group



I've enjoyed going back into the book shelves and pulling out everything.  I miss acquiring picture books for the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment