Sunday, September 12, 2010

Starting the Fall garden and today's harvest

A couple of weeks ago, I planted lots of greens for fall harvest - mustards, bok choy, arugula, kale.  Unfortunately, they all sprouted right away and then fried in the 90 degree weather we had for a week.  So today, I replanted all of those greens. The forecast is for much cooler weather this week.  The other crops that were planted are now coming up - beets, lettuce, spinach, radishes, chard.

The garden still has tomatoes, peppers, squash and sweet potatoes in it.  Today I picked the last few cucumbers and then pulled up the plant.

3 squash (Amber Cup) all in a row.  I use these like pumpkins and bake bread and muffins with it.

The first sweet potatoes and the last cucumbers

Hot peppers.  Frozen until sometime this winter when I'll make hot sauce

Last of the cherry tomatoes

My garden is in pretty good shape.  The fall projects are to sift out the rocks in the bed, dig in some compost and dig out the paths a little more to build up the beds.  Plus, lay wood chips on the path outside the plot.

My front yard looks pretty good now but in a month or so it will be time to start pruning back the perennials.

There is a crappy mulberry bush that grows on the other side of the fence in my backyard.  The neighboring house is a rental and there are a number of stray, weedy trees that are growing in its yard.  The mulberry tree's branches started to lay on my porch's roof so today Sean and I decided to try and cut the branches off.  We were successful!



Rental on left, edge of my porch on right.  The is after the branch was cut - the rest is laying on the neighbor's roof

No comments:

Post a Comment