Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's for dinner

I think I'm having blog fatigue!  I'm running out of ideas - maybe because the gardens are winding down - although winter planting has begun and lots of my greens have started to sprout.  November is the time to plant garlic for next year and I can't remember if I ordered garlic or not - need to check on that.

The only thing left to harvest in the  vegetable garden is one last amber cup squash and the sweet potatoes.  My garden pal Edouard has planted parsnips for me so I can start digging those up all winter as long as the ground isn't frozen.  The greens (lettuce, arugula, spinach, mustard, kale) should start to be ready in a month or so.  There will be preparation for winter in the garden - digging in compost, fixing the entry door, spreading wood chips on the path.

I dug up all the potatoes a few weeks ago so Tuesday night, I decided to try potato pancakes.  The kids are now in full swing of activities so on Sunday we all sat down and planned out some meals for the week.  I'd like to keep doing this - I don't need to shop for too many ingredients since my fridge and freezer are bulging with food.

Along with the potato pancakes, there was homemade applesauce and sauteed bok choy - a weird combination but Emma wanted the Choy and it was fresh this week from my CSA.

Grate potatoes in food processor.  Let sit in cold water for several minutes, drain and rinse.  Combine with flour and egg, salt, pepper.

Fry in hot oil

Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream

For the bok choy - heat some oil and saute some peanuts with red pepper flakes.  Remove from pan.  Add chopped bok choy and saute until wilted.  Add splash of soy sauce and a water/arrowroot mixture to thicken.  Add peanuts and serve.  This recipe is from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

I need some homesteading ideas to write about!  I'm committed to getting a worm composter this season.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment