Sunday, February 6, 2011

Let the 2011 gardening season begin!

Our last frost date in DC is usually mid-April.  The time to plant broccoli transplants is mid-March.  This year, I thought I would try and start seeds myself.  So, if I was going to stick to the timeline for broccoli, this was the weekend to start.

Years ago, I bought this pot maker thingy from gardener's supply so today I unearthed it and made a few newspaper pots.  I have a whole seed starting kit in the garage but that is more appropriate for the tomatoes and peppers.

I also took my friend Kathryn's advice and planted some broccoli seeds in the cold frame - also put some lettuce and spinach in the cold frame too.


Broccoli in paper pots.  This is now sitting on top of the radiator, in the south facing window.


Cold frame, being prepped with more soil.


Seeds planted


Between my friend Edouard and myself, we really have almost all the seeds we need for the season.  I still want to order a few more from Territorial Seeds and Seed Savers Exchange.





The robins were going crazy in the backyard today. Most of the snow has melted and in the fall, I raked most of the leaves under the viburnum.  The robins love this leaf cover and go wild flinging leaves left and right.  I also saw a male cardinal and a hairy woodpecker.  A great day for viewing the yard.

1 comment:

  1. are you happy with the pot maker from garden supply company?

    ReplyDelete