Monday, February 21, 2011

Seedlings and worms

I tried starting broccoli seeds this year - inside and outside in the cold frame. I also planted lettuce and spinach in the cold frame.  The broccoli from inside the house has sprouted although it's pretty leggy.  The one goal I had for today was to replant the broccoli in a bigger pot but alas, I did not get to it.  The plants in the cold frame have also sprouted.  I'm going to try and plant tomatoes, peppers, cukes, squash and flowers in mid-March too.  We'll see how it goes.

My worms have arrived!  I was going on and on about the worms and Sean exclaimed he was going to have to learn as much about worms as I did about professional cycling - and since I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about cycling these days, he has a lot of catching up to do.

A friend at work is a biology professor and in a passing conversation with him, he mentioned he tried vermicomposting and that it didn't work.   I asked him about it and learned he had a Can o Worms system he was willing to give away.  The contraption is now sitting in my basement and the worms came this week. I consulted my book "Worms Eat my Garbage" by Mary Appelhof for how to set up the wormbed.    I shredded some newspapers and moistened them and put the whole mess on the bottom tray of the system.  Then dumped the worms and dirt onto the newspapers.  In an hour, I checked on the worms and they had all moved to inside the paper.  Over the next couple of days I have been putting kitchen waste into the tray above the worms. The idea is the worms will migrate up to the tray above, leaving worm castings below.




Worms!

Cold frame seeds

Broccoli seeds

1 comment:

  1. My brother vermicomposts and I'm amazed at how quickly those worms can pass vegies through their guts. My brother wasn't happy when I got my own (non-worm) composter - but I still am the recipient of the occasional container of "worm pee" for my plants. He jerry-rigged a system using 2 big storage containers and a plug in faucet.

    AZ Chris

    ReplyDelete