Monday, December 5, 2011

Dark Days Challenge, Week 2

Yesterday I made a list of possible Dark Days meal - parsnip leek soup, ham and potato gratin, roast chicken.  Roast chicken it is.

There is a lovely little farmer's market right near my house that goes through the winter.  It's called New Morning Farm and keeps me supplied with all the root vegetables I need.  Currently there are still parsnips in the ground in my garden and all the sweet potatoes are in the basement.  Otherwise, I need to buy at the market.  Sean and I went on Saturday and bought potatoes, carrots, broccoli, an organic chicken, tat soi, apples, eggs.





This week's meal was roast chicken with roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli.

I butterflied the chicken and then made a rub of butter (from my dairy, South Mountain Creamery and dried thyme from my herb garden).  I took the back and neck and simmered it for some minutes and then used the broth for the bottom of the pan.  Roast at 400 for 45 min or so.


Chicken is from Lancaster County, PA



A nice pair of poultry shears makes it very easy to butterfly









Potatoes tossed with olive oil and more thyme.  The broccoli was steamed and I cheated a little by putting some chopped preserved lemon on it.  I did make the preserved lemons myself but the lemons are not from anywhere near DC

No comments:

Post a Comment