Saturday, January 1, 2011

Dark Days Challenge 2010 - Week 5

This week's Dark Days Challenge meal was cream of tomato soup with buttermilk rolls.   Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take a picture of the soup when it was done!

The rolls are from a recipe from the November 2010 issue of Cooking Light.  The soup I just threw together.

For the soup, sauteed shallots from my garden in butter from South Mountain Creamery.  There was a bag of frozen tomatoes in the freezer that was marked "tomato puree" even though it looked like pasta sauce.  Since I didn't remember making sauce, I took a chance that it really was puree.  Added that to the pot along with some frozen plum tomatoes.  Plum tomatoes are the easiest to freeze because you can just pop them in a ziplock bag and stick in the freezer.  When you want to use them, run under water and the skins slip right off.  I threw in the whole tomatoes and simmered the mess until cooked.  Took the emersion stick blender and blended until smooth.  I also added a frozen pesto cube to the soup.  The final touch was to pour in a couple of glugs of whole cream, from South Mountain Creamery.

For the rolls, I broke out the flour from Wade's Mill  When Sean and I went to NC a couple of weeks ago, we drove past the town of Raphine, VA where this mill is located.  The buttermilk is from South Mountain Creamery - the yeast is not local nor was the orange that was zested!

Flour and buttermilk

Rolls, second rise

Finished rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment