Friday, April 12, 2013

More Children's books

(Garden project update:  Sean said last night "you made me sound like I was building an irrigation system in your garden"  Irrigation system?!  Now you're talking.  That's one project I would give him the green light on)

Have I said how much I love working in a library?  Access to so many books.  Right now, I am working my way through all the books I have checked out and vow to not order anymore until I clean out what I have - so I am staking the Washington Post book reviews next to my desk, ready to go.


I've really been enjoying looking at books by Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire.  Everyone is familiar with the their mythology books .  Between our collection and Catholic University's collection, we have many of their books.  Ola





is the story of a Norwegian boy, Ola, and his many experiences exploring the people and countryside near his home. Some of his adventures included getting caught in a tree, visiting a traditional Norwegian wedding, and an encounter with a dragon.  The illustrations are wonderful - for some reason, I have a fascination with Scandinavian culture which usually manifests itself by reading Swedish psychological mysteries (I have branched out to Norwegian and Icelandic mysteries!  See Jo Nesbo and Yrsa Sigurdardottir).  Maybe it stems from my roommate Chris when I was a senior in college.  He was Norwegian and his grandfather, Jackrabbit Johannsen introduced Cross-Country Skiing to Canada.


The next d'Aulaire book I have read is Children of the Northlights.  This chronicles the life of the Sami people.  It was written in 1935 and I wonder how much life has changed.






Here is a site that has lovely pictures .   The d'Aulaires (presumably relatives) have a Facebook page that also posts

The next Caldecott Medal winners are 1945: Prayer For a Child by Rachel Field and illustrated by Elizabeth Orton Jones.



This is a prayer that Ford wrote for her own daughter and published posthumously because Ford died in 1942.  I think this book is definitely one of its time.  Right at the end of World War II and people need a little sentimentality in their life.  I don't think this is the type of book that would even be considered today for the medal which is not criticizing the book but just a comment on how picture books have changed so much over the years.

In 1946 the winner was The Rooster Crows by Maud and Miska Petersham.




This is a book of Rhymes and Jingles that we all grew up saying.  A part of a clapping game I did in grade school is in here - who remembers Miss Mary Mack?  Included in here is Ring around a Rosies; One Potato Two Potatoes; Here is the Church, Here is the Steeple; Fuzzy Wuzzy was a Bear.  I thought everyone was born knowing these rhymes!  I certainly don't remember reading them anywhere.  Do kids these days even know these?


In 1947 the winner was The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown and Leonard Weisgard.  




yes, the author of the beloved Good Night Moon.    When I first read this, I assumed this little island was somewhere in Maine (seals and kingfishers abound) and reading a little about her life, she did have a house on Vinalhaven Maine.    The illustrations remind me of Robert McCloskey's.  Leonard Weisgard also had an Honor book that year, Rain Drop Splash.  I'll have to take a look at that one. I know we have all the Caldecott winners in our collection but not sure about the Honor Winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment