Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dark Days Challenge Week 6

The snowstorm thwarted my plans for going to the farmer's market this past weekend.  So this week's meal for the Dark Days Challenge is going to be "mostly" local.   The theme among the other participants seems to be squash, kale, squash and more kale!

We are having a local breakfast this week.  I still have a truckload of sweet potatoes and some of them were getting a little soft, so I cooked up a bunch last week.    Our meal this morning is sweet potato muffins and fruit smoothies.

Sweet Potato Muffins

I have a notebook full of recipes, cut out from various sources.  My new year's resolution is to try and actually cook from those recipes!  This one came from the Raleigh News and Observer.  The local ingredients are the sweet potato, eggs, milk, honey.  I mistakenly used the non-local unsalted butter instead of the local salted butter - not counting flour and spices.  The recipe called for applesauce which I didn't have, so I grabbed a Safeway bought apple and made some.

Apples cooking


Sweet Potatoes


Eggs and milk from South Mountain Creamery, honey from PA


Ready for the oven



Fruit Smoothie

My daughter doesn't like milk so I try to sneak some in with smoothies.  This one is made with strawberries and blueberries, picked last summer.  Over the weekend, S and I made yogurt.  The milk was local but I had to buy some yogurt for a starter and used Brown Cow, whole milk with cream on top (this stuff is awesome!).  My dairy makes yogurt but the kids don't like it because it's too thin.  I don't really eat yogurt on its own anymore.  Every summer job I had while in HS and College, my lunch was yogurt and a piece of fruit.  No more yogurt for me unless it's hidden in something.

The smoothie was fruit, yogurt, honey and cranberry juice.

Fruit and Yogurt


The drink


No comments:

Post a Comment