Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Memorial Service

My elderly neighbor died on Friday.  She was 82 and had been in failing health for a couple of years.  She lived with her sister, in the bright yellow house behind my house.  For the past couple of years, Nora lived in the Methodist Home and that was where the memorial service was today.   The service was full of people who had known Nora through many aspects of her life and all had really wonderful things to say about her.  She was a very caring woman and I will miss seeing her gardening in her backyard and walking her dog.

This is the second service I've been to in a couple of months for elderly women that I have known.  The minister quoted from Eugene O'Neill today:

"When you're 50 you start thinking about things you haven't thought about before. I used to think getting old was about vanity - but actually it's about losing people you love.  Getting wrinkles is trivial."

Since  I am now closer to 50 than 40, I've been thinking about this quote since I came home from Nora's service.  My morbid thought was would anyone show up at my memorial service!  I'll have to make sure that it's stipulated that a party should be thrown with good food.  I've already told my kids they are to dig a hole, throw in my ashes and plant a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment