Monday, January 21, 2013

Books read: 2012

I've been keeping a notebook by my bed where I write down the Title, Author and Month Read, for all my books.  The notebook was started in 2005 when I returned a book to the library and then immediately could not remember the author or title!

Here is what I read last year.  The * books are for mother/daughter book group.  I tend towards mysteries and Swedish mysteries - the Swedes are such a dark, depressing people! I jest.  The perks of working in an academic library is Inter Library Loan!   For some of these books, when I say read, I mean skim.  These are only the books that made the trip upstairs, it does not count the books that remain downstairs that I read.  Doesn't everyone have books all over the house that they are reading at once?

January 2012

The Blood Spilt, Asa Larsson
Do One Green Thing, Mindy Pennybacker
The Locavore Way, Amy Cotler
*Purple Heart, Patricia McCormick
It's All About the Bike, Robert Penn


February 

Grow the Good Life, Michelle Owens
The Feast Nearby, Robin Mather
Wonderstruck, Brian Selznick
The Boy in the Suitcase, Lene Kaaberbol
Treasure Island, Sara Levine
Would it Kill You to Stop Doing That,  Henry Alford
French Dirt, Richard Goodman


March

Last Night at the Lobster, Stewart Nan
*Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Foer (this is the only mother/daughter book in 7 years that I did not read.  I skimmed.  I did not enjoy it)
Religion for Atheists, Alain de Botton
Rethinking Aging, Nortin M. Hadler
1000 Mitzvahs, Linda Cohen


April

Lost Washington, DC, John DeFerraro
Random Acts of Kindness, Conari Press
50 Popular Beliefs That People Think are True, Guy Harrison
The Memory of Blood, Christopher Fowler
Grow Your Food for Free, David Hamilton
The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection, Alexander McCall Smith
Gardening for a Lifetime, Sydney Eddison
*Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Shiguro


May

Death and the Penguin, Andrey Kurkov
The Knitter's Life List, Gwen W Steege
*How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent, Julia Alvarez
Ashes to Dust, Yrsa Sigurdardottir



June
 
The Stonecutter, Camilla Lackberg
Penguin Lost, Andrey Kurkov
Onward and Upward in the Garden, Katharine White
How to be Richer, Smarter, and Better Looking Than Your Parents, Zac Bissonnette



July

*The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had, Kristen Levine
When We Were the Kennedys, Monica Wood (this book is a memoir of growing up in Mexico, ME - which is next to Peru, ME where my mother lives)



August

The Hare With Amber Eyes, Edmund de Waal
Birdseye, Mark Kurlansky
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken, Tarquin Hall
Rue Fabre, Jean Claude Germain



September

Overtime,  Frank Deford
The Beautiful Mystery, Louise Penny (one of my favorite mystery writers)
The Gallows Bird, Camilla Lackberg
Space Chronicles, Neil deGrasse Tyson
We Took to the Woods,  Louise Dickinson Rich (about moving her family to Maine, in 1940's, not far from where my mother lives)



October

*The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, Aimee Bender
Murder in the Rue Dumas, M.L. Longworth
Phantom, Jo Nesbo - I really like this author but just could not finish this book - too violent.



November

Brat Farrar, Josephine Tey
*Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan


December

Heads in Beds, Jacob Tomsky 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment