Saturday, May 7, 2011

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival 2011

Today Sean and I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.  It was INSANE!  There were so many people - mostly librarian types in sensible shoes.  Library conferences seem to attract the same type of women as sheep and wool festivals. I say that lovingly of course.

The parking lot.  Walking into the Howard County Fairgrounds

I'm ready to meet the sheep


The crowds

The usual fair food.  Sean had lamb stew and lamb BBQ.  Lots and lots of lamb to eat

This is the sheep shearing demonstration.  The guy doing it used a blade (shears) as opposed to a machine.   He was from MA and traveled all over the US to ply his trade.

 The guy in blue was from South Dakota and was explaining the process.


Shearing the belly

All done

Fluffing out the fleece.  This was one piece.  It was amazing

Being prepped for show.  The guy was blowing drying the sheep's legs!

The crowds



Sheep dog trials.  This was a demonstration involving 5 sheep and several dogs.







Bah-ram-u

There were several barns with sheep breeds.  

Baby

I have never seen so much wool and yarn in my life.  It was overwhelming.  Luckily, I'm the type of knitter who only buys yarn with a project in mind.  I did end up buying a pattern for socks and some alpaca yarn.  There were booths with goats, alpaca and rabbits - but on the perimeter as if they were lesser fibers.  Very funny.  I also bought some beautiful hand blown glass stitch markers.

I also chatted with a woman who runs a farm in Freeland Maryland  She offers a Fiber CSA.  It's brilliant and I've decided to sign up for a 6 month membership. 

When we entered into the fairgrounds, Sean was teasing me about whether we would see anyone I knew.  Well, we were looking at the vendors in one barn and I saw a booth advertising a knitting retreat at Camp Medomak.  This is a family  camp that the kids and I went to several years ago. We met 4 other families from a working mother's listserv that I have been on forever.  I told Sean "I've been to that camp" and then walked over and started chatting with the director.  I mentioned that I had been to the camp and who with and mentioned my friend Robin and lo and behold, Mr. Camp Director remembered her! 

Sean and I had a very fun day and I'm already looking forward to going back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment