Saturday, May 14, 2011

Vanilla Rhubarb Jam - wow!

The rhubarb is ready and I am came across this recipe a few months ago.  The Food in Jars blog has been a wonderful inspiration for all things canning.  If only I was so ambitious.  Today turned out to be a dreary raining day so what else to do but make jam.


Sugar with rhubarb and a tea bag.  Tea bag?  The recipe called for 1 cup of Earl Grey tea (or water) and I only had Irish Breakfast.  My Irish children will thank me.  The sugar has 1/2 cup of vanilla sugar mixed in.



Mix the rhubarb, tea and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil.  Add lemon juice, salt and the insides of a vanilla bean (what to do with the pod?  I could put it into more sugar but what else?).  Boil for 10 min, add liquid pectin and boil until thick.



Put into jars and process in water bath for 10 min.




This jam is delicious!  I'm very impressed with the taste, I just hope it sets up well.

here are a few new blooms in the yard

Poppy.  These are growing rampant in my vegetable garden and I can't get it to grow in my yard. This is the lone poppy.

Baptisia.  Looks nice with the Peony that is almost ready to flower.

Clemetis.  These are really lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment