Thursday, June 23, 2011

Musings on being green

Sean thinks I'm crazy but what else is new?

I've read a couple of new books lately - the best thing about working in a library and especially an academic library is a service called Inter Library Loan.  I can request pretty much any book I want and the fabulous people in ILL will find a library to loan it out.  The times I can't get a book are usually the times that Emma has ordered a brand new book and only a few libraries own it.  If we wait a few months, then we can get it.

Whenever I see a reference to a book in whatever it is I'm looking at, it takes only a minute to log on to the library's catalog and request it.  So, I read this book

The urban homestead : your guide to self-sufficient living in the heart of the city /




Just to see if I was missing something.  Nope, doing most of it and don't have the money to do the rest.  I like to get new ideas though.  From this book, I requested two more that is the reason Sean calls me crazy.

Create an oasis with greywater :choosing, building, and using greywater systems, includes branched drains



This is what I really want to do.  Somehow create a system at my house to capture the kitchen sink, bathtub and washing machine water.  There's a website too!  So I just need to find a plumber who specializes in grey water capture, ignore the rules and regulation of the DC government and find the money to retro fit the house.  In the meantime, I save the dishpan water and pour it out into the garden.

Then there was this book


This is what put Sean over the edge.  Yes, we are talking composting toilets.   I want one of these too.  I think my kids would kick me out of the house too. 

On the other hand, the low flow toilet?  Love it.  Except when it clogs, as it did the other evening.  Thanks to my son who shall remain nameless.  The solution was to pour some dishwashing liquid down the toilet and follow with boiling water.  Worked like a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment