Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dark Days Challenge Week 17

Last night's meal for the Dark Days Challenge was made up mostly of local ingredients.  I had some snow pea pods from my winter CSA in the fridge and some homemade noodles in the freezer.  There was leftover heavy cream that sadly was not local but I decided to go ahead and try and make a meal anyway.

The snowpeas were blanches.  Minced onion and garlic were sauteed in butter, add snow peas and heavy cream and simmer.  Toss with cooked noodles.

The noodles were made during one of the blizzard days back in Feb.  I had ordered semolina flour from a mill in VA and tried making noodles.  The dough was pretty tough to handle and the noodles are hearty.  We've been eating them in chicken soup but this was the first time they were the main dish.  They tasted pretty good but by the end of the meal were getting a little heavy.

Sauce:
Snowpeas, onions: Winter CSA
Garlic: my garden
Cream: Safeway
Butter: South Mountain Creamery

Noodles:
Semolina flour: Wade's Mill, VA
Eggs: Local, given to me by my dance teacher

Salad:  lettuce from winter CSA

Snowpeas in cream

Homemade Noodles

Salad with pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment