Monday, July 5, 2010

Garlic Spicy Pickles

 More pickles today.  The canning jars and pretty much used up but luckily, I am going to meet a friend of a friend this week who has jars to give me.  The next thing to make is blueberry syrup but today it was time to use up the cucumbers.  The problem is I had the dill sitting right in front of me and I forgot to put the sprigs in the jars.  I did manage to remember to put in the little chili peppers and slices of garlic so hopefully they will come out ok.  This recipe came from this month's Better Homes and Garden (my friend drops off her magazines every month for me. I come home and there they are on my porch. It's like Christmas)



Best Ever Dill Pickles

3 to 3 1/4 lbs small pickling cucumbers
4 cups water
4 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup pickling salt
6 tblsp dill seeds
chili peppers
garlic

Thoroughly rinse cucumbers.  Cut off a thin slice from both ends of cucumbers.  Slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices.  In a large nonreactive pot combine water, vinegar, sugar and pickling salt.  Bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, prepare jars.  Pack cucumbers loosely into hot, pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Add 1 tblsp dill seeds, 2 little chili peppers and 1-2 cloves of garlic, sliced.   Pour hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims, top with lids.

Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Start the time once the water starts to boil.  Remove jars and cool.  Let stand at least 1 week.






No comments:

Post a Comment