Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This week's CSA and what's for dinner

Yesterday's CSA contained

garlic
spring onions
shallots
lettuce
chard
potatoes
zucchini
green beans
and eggs!  

Farmer Allan said there was enough eggs for us plus he bought more chickens.  So maybe I won't have to to to the store to buy eggs

Stopped at my garden today and picked green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, purple peppers, zucchini.  Spent about an hour watering my and my neighbor's garden.  It's been so hot, I really should be there every morning and evening but at least I'm trying to water every day.

For dinner, Sean and I decided to stick with salads.  There is a farmer's market that comes on campus every Wed and included it bread from the local bakery, Upper Crust.  Usually I just buy a baguette but the cheese focaccia looked delicious so I bought a loaf.  For the salads, we had lettuce, then another bowl with chopped cucumbers and tomatoes, dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.  The third salad was boiled potatoes, steamed green beans, feta, with a dressing of olive oil, white vinegar, mustard, capers, salt, pepper, dry mustard, Italian herb spice, basil, pepper blend spice.  All the vegetables came from the CSA or my own garden.

An aside about salad.  My father is Italian and salad was always an important meal in my house.  We would eat it last, after the main meal and my father would dress it at the table.  He would dish out to whomever wanted to eat some and then finish the rest.  To this day, I prefer to eat my salad at the end of my meal.

Tomorrow I visit my friend to make the hand off of more canning jars. I'm not sure I have enough blueberries to make syrup but while at the garden, I realized there are a tons of beets and carrots to pull - what can be done with those?

Here is our dinner tonight


No comments:

Post a Comment