Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kohlrabi Slaw

My gardening neighbor planted some purple kohlrabi this year.  Since he is away this month and said I could have carte blanche in picking in his garden, I picked the kohlrabi.  I enjoy this vegetable, raw, sliced in salads so I thought it might be good in a slaw.  I consulted one of my reference cookbooks - Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini by Elizabeth Schneider and there was a suggestion for an Asian inspired slaw.

I peeled and julienned the kohlrabi, a couple of carrots and the few small beets that came in my CSA this week.  Salted it, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinsed.

The dressing was rice vinegar, a little sugar, a couple of splashes of my homemade hot sauce, some Minor's cilantro lime sauce and enough vegetable oil to hold it all together.  Mix with vegetables and top with some chopped peanuts.




Sean and I are going to eat this with brats and steamed beans tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment