Thursday, January 28, 2010

More preserving - Hot Sauce

I decided to finally make a batch of hot sauce to use up all the hot peppers in the freezer.  I used a recipe from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, by Judi Kingry and Lauren Devine. 

I defrosted 2 - gallon bags of crushed tomatoes (from my garden) - the juice separated a bit but I mixed it all together.  The recipe called for  8 cups of chopped, peeled, seeded tomatoes so I thought this was a good substitute.




Here is a sample of hot peppers used - most from Farmer Allan but many from my gardening friend Edouard's plants (he was traveling for 2 months and I got to pick what I wanted from his garden) - I wore gloves and seeded these peppers. I was sneezing and coughing by the end!



Pickling spice - a mixture of many things like cinnamon, bay, cardamon, mustard seeds, coriander and other things



Combine in pot, add 2 cups white vinegar.  Simmer until peppers are soft, then puree. Back on stove with pickling spices, sugar and more white vinegar.  Simmer until thick.





UPDATE:

Sean and I opened a jar last night and while it was hot, it wasn't lip numbing.  Very very tasty and we ate it on a saute of sausage and kale.  Delicious

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you made your own hot sauce! I can just imaging how tasty that would be.

    Since you are using homegrown ingredients, would you like to enter this post in our Grow Your Own roundup this month? Full Details at

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/01/rambutans-plus-grow-your-own.html

    ReplyDelete