Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Preserved lemons and beet soup

I bought a whole bag of very non-local lemons at Costco this week (really, where do I get local lemons in DC?)

I decided to try and make preserved lemons.  This recipe comes from Madjur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.  You take 2 lbs of lemons, cut them in quarters and toss with a mixture of spices and sugar and lots and lots of salt.  Then layer in jars, add more lemon juice.  I have put them in the fridge and shake the jar every day.  Supposedly the skins will soften in a month or so.



 

 


I had a hankering for cold buttermilk beet soup.  The buttermilk from my local dairy is fantastic and the recipe is very easy.  I canned several jars of beets this summer.  They look funny because all the color bled out of the beets during the pressure canning process.  I had cooked them first with the skins on and when the beets went into the jars, they were purple.  I don't know what happened!  Anyway, I drained a jar of beets, added some glugs of buttermilk to the blender, lots of dried dill and salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth.


 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Let me know how your preserved lemons turn out. We have a ton of lemons - I just froze about 5 ice cube trays full of lemon juice. but there are still plenty on the tree. Every year I swear I'm going to make preserved lemons (and I have that cookbook) and limoncello. I never end up doing either. Not sure why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm really curious about those lemons and how they turn out! I made limoncello once - really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lemons are definitely softening. I've been able to combine most of jar two into jar one. Once they are done, I don't know how to use them!

    ReplyDelete