Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dark Days Challenge Week 2

Yesterday,  S and I made an impromptu visit to our local farmer's market, at the Sheridan School.  We were headed across town to the DC Armory, for the National Geographic Sale - and it was a HUGE sale and we bought lots of stuff.

Back to the farmer's market.  We drove past the sign and I quickly made a U-turn, thinking, hmm, let's see what is there.    It was fabulous. I don't know who runs the market, it's called the New Morning Farmer's market and it seemed to be one (or more) farms from PA.  There was the truck with turkeys, manned by the Amish or Mennonite men, lots of produce, lots of baked goods, goat cheese producer.

We shopped with the idea of what to make for the week 2 challenge.

Here is what we bought:

Fingerling potatoes, cauliflower, mushrooms (PA is a large producer of shrooms), a leek and tuscan kale.




S with Tuscan kale



I was thinking of making a cream of cauliflower soup - using butter and milk from my dairy, leek, cauliflower and garlic from my garden.  Serve with popovers (butter, eggs, milk from my local dairy - flour I'm not counting!).

My son wants to make homemade pasta so the mushrooms can go into a sauce for that.

S went home with the kale.

That's ok since today I went to my own garden and pulled parsnips, mustard greens, lettuce and arugula.  The russian red kale was also ready but I decided to pick that later in the week.

Parsnips



Washed parsnips

 

Lettuce and Arugula

 

Mustard Greens

 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fun to find what is out there? I didn't buy as much as I would have liked to at our Saturday market since I already knew what we will be eating this week since my sister will be visiting. But next week, I am looking forward to buying a stash!

    ReplyDelete