Saturday, November 14, 2009

My freezer

The Dark Days Challenge starts tomorrow so I thought I would take an inventory of my freezer.

Upstairs Freezer

Not Local: Vegetarian sausage, Turkey burgers, hamburger buns, shrimp, chicken breasts, cranberries, kiwi, corn, cupcakes, a bottle of grappa

Local: Strawberries, blueberries, dehydrated peaches

My garden: Plum tomatoes, arugula pesto (ok the oil and nuts to make it aren't local), parsley, basil pesto, winter squash, peas, snow peas, hot peppers, rhubarb, roasted tomato puree

Downstairs freezer

Not Local: Tilapia, coffee, toffee chips, girl scout cookies, hot dog rolls, unsalted butter, clam base, roasted red pepper base, tortillas, cranberries, flounder, english muffins, bagels, naan, chicken legs, puff pastry shells, chicken breasts, mozzarella.

Local: apples, sour cherries, strawberries, pork butt, pork chops, ham steak

My garden: hot peppers, plum tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, tomato puree, green beans, shredded zucchini

Canned

beets, pickled beets, zucchini pickles, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, dilly beans, honey carrots, strawberry jam, asian pickles.


Other local ingredients I get

Eggs, milk, cider, salted butter.

My garden is still producing carrots, parsnips, mustard greens, kale, chard, arugula, lettuce.

What should my first local meal be to make?

1 comment:

  1. You have lots of options! How about pork chops with cinnamon apples, baked or roasted sweet potatoes & sauteeed kale? Or, if that is too much food, tomato soup, an omelet and a salad?

    ReplyDelete