Monday, May 24, 2010

Risotto with spring peas

I walked through the garden today and picked lots of greens for salads.  My garden neighbor D was sitting in his garden (he has set up a trellis like shade area with a chair) and while we were chatting I heard the sound of a bird singing very close by.  There was a little wren in his garden, chirping away.  He and his mate were nesting in the birdhouse that D had amongst his sweet peas.  My gardening neighbor said the wren had become very used to him in the garden.

Today was meatless Monday and while my son was not that enthusiastic about it, I insisted.  He did end up helping me make dinner and has already planned dinner for tomorrow night (fried chicken).

Risotto with Spring Peas

Chop fine a small onion.  Heat a saute pan with some oil or butter and fry onion until soft.  Add 1 1/2 cups arborio rice and stir to coat.  Pour in 1/2 cup white wine and stir until absorbed.  Slowly add 5 1/2 cups of broth, one ladle full at a time.  After each ladle of broth, stir until most of the liquid is dissolved.  Before the last cup of broth is used, stir in peas.  When all cooked, add parmesan cheese to taste (about 1/4 cup or so).

Frying onion

Fresh peas

Base to make vegetable broth

Rice and broth added

My helper


Risotto with salad

No comments:

Post a Comment