Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Today's harvest from the garden

I try to stop by the vegetable garden every night or every other night on my way home from work.  I just haven't been able to find the time lately to weed so this long weekend will find me with the vegetables.  The weather is now getting hot so I don't think the spinach, raab or arugula is going to last much longer.  The 2 screens that were hinged and set up for the cukes to grow on are working great - I planted mustard and lettuce underneath it and it's shaded enough for the greens to do well.  The potatoes are in flower and look wild!  My favas are also in flower but since I've never grown them before, I'm not sure what the bean is going to look like.

Today I picked lettuce, mizuna and mustard greens as well as snow peas.

Mizuna and mustard

Snow peas
I was going to blanch the snow peas and then saute with a little sesame oil but the kids wanted to eat them raw.  They were good and crunchy but could have used some dip - everything tastes better with dip

For my dinner, I had a little heritage ham in the fridge, so I diced it up and heated it in oil.  I added the greens and mixed it all up until the greens were cooked.  This was going to be dinner but looking at it I thought, hmm, this would taste better with eggs.  So I used the easy poaching method (fry for 1 min, add a few ice cubes, cover and cook 2 more min) and made 2 eggs.  Top ham/greens with eggs and grind pepper on it to taste (the ham was salty so I didn't add more salt)




No comments:

Post a Comment