Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pickles with Alayne

My friend Alayne wanted to come over and get a pickle making lesson.  Today was a perfect day to do it and there were plenty of vegetables from the garden to make two batches of pickles.

The first batch we made was called End of the Garden pickles.  We sliced zucchini, carrots and trimmed and cut green beans.  All vegetables from my garden.  The brine contained sugar, salt, mustard seeds, ground mustard,  cinnamon and ginger - interesting combination and I hope it turns out well.

The lovely Alayne, putting together the brine

We had many pots filled with boiling liquid

End of the garden Pickles


Next up was Bread and Butter pickles. I am entering these in the first annual DC State Fair.   My cucumbers have been CRAZY this year and this will be the fourth batch of pickles with cukes I've made this summer.  Who wants some?


Alayne, filling the jars - she was having fun

Finished, Bread and Butter Pickles


After the pickles, it was time to deal with the vinegar.  A couple of months ago, I made tarragon vinegar and today it was time to decant it.  Tastes just like tarragon


Remember the peaches I dehydrated?  I saved the peach peels and pits and froze them.  Today, we put 2 cups of white wine vinegar in a pot and brought to a simmer.  I took the peach trimmings out of the freezer and put them in cheesecloth and added to the simmering vinegar.  Simmer for 15 min, then turn off heat and let sit until cool.  This is also very tasty.

Alayne with peelings in cheesecloth

Peach Vinegar

Whew!  I don't know about Alayne but I'm tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment