Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bread and Butter Pickles, Part 2

My DC School Scrabble T-shirt was a casualty of the pickling adventure today.   The recipe calls for tumeric which is really for color and not flavor.  As I was stirring the boiling pickling mixture, it splashed all over the t-shirt.  Big yellow slotches.  Oh well.  Maybe Stefan (my kids scrabble coach) will feel sorry for me and give me another one.  Maybe the stains will come out in the wash.

Anyway, back to the pickles.

White vinegar is combined with sugar and the spices (mustard seeds, celery seeds and tumeric) and brought to a boil.  Add the rinsed and drained cucumbers and onions and bring back to a boil.  Pack into hot jars and then process for 10 min.

Jars being taken out of hot water

Vegetables mixed with vinegar and spices

Being ladled into jars.  There was more mixture than I had prepared jars, so I grabbed one of the old fashioned jars (the blue one on right)  and filled it with the remaining vegetables.  This went into the fridge instead of into the water bath.

All done!  Yummy bread and butter pickles

No comments:

Post a Comment