Saturday, June 12, 2010

Weekend Herb Blogging - Lavender Wands

This week's Weekend Herb Blogging is hosted by  Anna's Cool Finds and this week's herb is lavender.

I have several lavender plants in my yard and they are slowly being replaced - I've had several not last the winter and the plants get woody after a few years and kind of overgrown and ugly.  This year, I dug out one from the front yard and replaced it with an Anise Hyssop.  The other plants are blooming well and I've never really taken advantage of the plant to use it in anyway.  I decided to try and make Lavender Wands.  The directions I used came from the Garden Gate Magazine site (I used to subscribe to this magazine for many years and really liked it).


I snipped 18 stalks of lavender while dodging the bees.



Tie a knot at the base of the flowers with ribbon


Turn over the flowers and try and arrange the stalks to enclose the flowers - this was a little tricky

Then start to weave the ribbon through the stalks


This worked out pretty well except if I try it again, I will use wider ribbon.



One must love the smell of lavender to make these since there was a lot of loss of buds and the scent stayed on my hands for hours!

Now, what am I going to do with this wand?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for participating in Weekend Herb Blogging!

    ReplyDelete