Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Meatless Tuesday - Leek and Potato Soup

Meatless Monday didn't happen because my son wanted to go out to dinner and I'm an easy mark.  We went to Z burgers for hot dogs, turkey burgers, shakes and fries.  After dinner I decided to tackle some of the produce in the fridge and settled on leek and potato soup.  I had 3 leeks from my garden to use up.  It's very easy to make.  Chop leeks, saute in butter.  Add chopped potato and some vegetable broth to cover.  Simmer until cooked.  Puree in blender, then add heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.  I like this soup cold so it was perfect to eat the next night.

Leeks in butter

Potato with Vegetable Base (My potatoes aren't really ready yet, this is store bought)

Soup!

While I was in the kitchen, I decided to roast some beets to have on hand for salad.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy, Stacey. I am on a total leek kick the last couple of months. My favorite preparation right now is with bacon, mushrooms, and spaghetti, though I've also been using up the last of my smoked turkey stock by making a risotto-type version of the above. I use gemelli instead of arborio, though--it sort of comes out like turkey tetrazzini, minus the flour, since the starch released during the endless stirring process thickens the dish naturally.

    ReplyDelete