Sunday, June 13, 2010

Today's harvest from the garden June 13

I have discovered that the gnats are just as bad at 6am as they are at 2pm or 5pm in the garden.  Today was going to be a busy day (tap dance, daughter's softball tournament) and the garden needed some work.  So I was out at 6am.  Pulled up the peas, snow peas and fava beans.  Planted more beets, green beans and winter squash.  Weeded, took the row covers off the beans and cukes.  Harvested quite a bit of food.  Watered my garden and my neighbor Edouard's (he's traveling, so I'm taking care of it).

A Bird's Eye view of the harvest - sack full of lettuce on lower right corner


Carrots

Potatoes - I did not plant these this year, these are all volunteers from years past

Dill - the dill is ready but the cukes are not.  I going to try and freeze these for pickling later in the month

The last of the favas - I've frozen them all in order to use them next week when friends come over. I want to make a fava puree to serve with pita

These are leeks - not looking like the ones in the store but very tasty nonetheless


Chard



A recipe to leave you with.  Inspired by my friend Chris who is a much more imaginative cook than me

Pasta with leeks, mushrooms and peas

I chopped up 3 leeks and sauteed them in some bacon fat.  Added a pint (one of the those small plastic containers of mushrooms)  of sliced crimini mushrooms - covered and cooked until mushrooms are soft.  In the meantime, get water boiling for pasta - add desired shape (I used gemelli) - After leeks and mushrooms have cooked, add a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and then ladle in a couple of scoops of pasta water into the veggies.  Cook for a few minutes, pour over some heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.  Add drained pasta to the veggie mix and combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment