Friday, June 11, 2010

Sesame Poppy Seed breadsticks

My son seemed a little bored when I got home from work - what tipped me off?  "I don't know what to do mommy" - I had just come home from work with a stop at the vegetable garden to water.  Since I rode my bike, when I got home all I wanted to do was to sit on the front porch and drink my iced tea.

"I know Mommy, can we make those twisty breadsticks with the poppy seeds?"  So said my son a few minutes after I had my iced tea.  "of course, honey, let me get the recipe"

Here is what we did this evening - recipe is from an old Ladies Home Journal

Sesame Poppy Coated Twists

1 package active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1/2 cup warm water (110F to 115F)
4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup room temp water
6 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tblsp olive oil

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in 2 cup measuring cup
Let stand 5 min until yeast is dissolved

Mix flour and salt in large bowl
Add room temperature water to dissolved yeast.  Add liquid to flour mixture and mix until a rough ball is formed.
 (I use the Kitchen Aid mixture with dough hook)
Knead a few minutes until dough is smooth and elastic

Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turn to grease top.  cover bowl and let rise in a warm draft free place until double in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Combine sesame seeds, poppy seeds and kosher salt in a small bowl.

Grease a large cookie sheet

Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, press into a 12 inch square.  Sprinkle 3 tblsp seed mixture over the top.  Fold square into thirds, business letter style to form a 12 x4 inch rectangle. Pinch all seams to seal

Brush top with 1 tblsp olive oil, sprinkle evenly with half the remaining seed mixture.  With 2 large spatulas, turn over dough, seed side down, onto cookie sheet.  Brush top with remaining oil and spread remaining seed mixture.  Cut rectangle crosswise into 12 pieces

Twist one strip at a time and stretch to form 6 inch long twist.  Arrange twists 1/2 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 min.

Preheat oven to 425.  Bake 20 min and reduce heat to 375 and bake 10 min more.
Cool on wire rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment