Saturday, June 19, 2010

Weekend Herb Blogging - Marjoram

This week's Weekend Herb Blogging is hosted by The Crispy Cook.  This week's herb is Marjoram.  Right now the marjoram in my gardening is starting to go to seed - I debate on whether to cut off the flowers since it makes the plant look pretty ragged or leave them for the bees - I don't feel too guilty cutting off the flowers since the bees have been swarming all over the yard on the bee balm and lavender.

Marjoram is in the oregano family but to me, it has more of a lemony flavor.  I don't really use it too much in cooking but there are a couple of standby recipes that use it - rice pilaf with orzo and another zucchini feta chickpea dish from one of the Moosewood cookbooks.

This is the season for cold salads for me so I decided to make a pasta/white bean/tuna salad with the herb



White Bean, Tuna and Pasta Salad

Open a can of navy beans or canellini beans and rinse well.  Toss in a bowl and add a can of chunk light tuna that has been drained.  Boil as much pasta as you would like (I used elbows).  Toss with beans and tuna.  Make a vinaigrette with lemon juice and olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I added chopped marjoram and chives along with some chopped garlic scapes.  I also had some cherry tomatoes and diced carrots from the garden.  Mix well.


Marjoram and Chives

Salad!

2 comments:

  1. Yum. And if you like cold salads, you really need to try watermelon with goat cheese and a little drizzle of honey. You could sprinkle with chopped mint as well. Mmmmmm.

    Nono

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending this recipe over to Weekend Herb Blogging. Sounds like quite a nice farmstead you have there, so productive! Look for the WHB roundup tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete